Saturday, October 23, 2010

Is Mushing Fun for the Dogs?

Well, no moose at Eklutna. Or, none that I could find. One day I was returning to the parking lot on my ATV and I could hear faintly over the engine this unnatural sound. I couldn't figure it out, was it a banshee swooping down to haunt me, a rabid moose out to exact revenge on me for it's fallen brothers, was the kanooter valve going out on my Polaris? No, none of those things. It was the pent up excitement of a dog team at the ready. The musher and his assistant were getting them harnessed. He had one or two dogs left. The quality of the video is poor because I had to use my cell phone. I forgot my camera this day, which made me think today was surely the day I would get a moose or bear or wolf or all three and have nothing to record the memories but my minds eye. But, fortunately (?), I only caught a brief glimpse of a coyote and the dog team. Both videos are short and shouldn't take too long to load.
All but one dog completely diverts their focus from mouth to legs the second the musher releases the ATV brake. It's funny, the one dog yelps and springs into the air as if to take flight a few times before he commits to the task at hand(paw). As they pulled away, I could hear the musher calling out "gee, haw", lining the lead dogs up with the trail entrance. An incredible thing to see.


No comments: