Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Moose hunt


Well, you knew I couldn't wait too long to post my hunt pictures. I labeled this one moose hunt because I was Moose hunting. Black bear was legal too and the opportunity arose. Originally I said I shot him at 15 yd. I went back to this site with some friends and measured the shot with my range finder-6 yards. That's not an impressive bow shot by any means, what is impressive is being that close to a bear in tall grass and keeping your shorts clean.

The bottom picture shows another adult bear that I believe is a sow.
We didn't see any bear or moose when we went back. It's getting cold now but there's no snow on the ground yet. I don't know when they go to den but I guess it'll be soon. Moose season is closed now in that area, so when we go back it's for bear. J.C. and I loved the meat. It goes against everything I've ever heard about bear meat. That bear was even better than caribou, which was my favorite game meat.
The last moose hunting this year ends on 20 Oct. It's at Eklutna Lake, about 30 minutes from the house. I hope to get in 2 more hunts. It's for any bull, so no antler restrictions. It's also archery only, so there's not a lot of pressure even though it's so close.
Another good thing about the Eklutna hunt is the grouse hunting. We always see grouse on the way out. It's very fun and challenging to shoot birds with a bow. The down side is you can loose a lot of arrows and they're not cheap.

1 comment:

kybrowns said...

Did it taste like chicken?
(sorry had to do it)